The Mental Health & High School Curriculum
March 21, 2019 | 9 am – 5 pm | School of Social Work, University of Washington, Room 305
Looking for upstream SEL programming? This High School program can address mental health literacy as part of your long-term suicide prevention efforts.
The Mental Health & High School Curriculum is organized and provided by the Jordan Binion Project and partner organizations to increase students’ understanding of mental health and mental disorders. Designed for implementation in the classroom, it provides comprehensive teaching materials including lesson plans, student and teacher tests, and interactive class activities – all of which can be downloaded at no cost.
Widely taught in schools across Canada and internationally, the 10-12 hour curriculum is medically accurate, has been thoroughly field tested, and can be downloaded at no cost. Approximately 350 WA education professionals have completed the training which includes these six modules.
- Reducing stigma
- Understanding mental health & mental illness
- Information on mental disorders
- Experience of mental illness
- Seeking help and finding support
- Importance of positive mental health
Alignment with Health Ed K-12 Learning Standards
Washington state became the first U.S. entity to implement the Mental Health & High School Curriculum with mapping by OSPI confirming alignment with our Health Standards (when the full resource is implemented with fidelity).
Who Should Attend
Teachers and school support staff can provide the Mental Health & High School Curriculum to students after completing the full-day training, which provides a basic overview of mental health and illness and orientation to the teaching materials.
Clock hours are available. Participants will receive the printed Curriculum Guide.
* Please note: FIS schools will have priority to pre-register through Jan 31. Registration will be open to the UW communities starting on Feb 1.
Cost: Free to attend.
Parking & Transport
Paid parking lots and UW gatehouse parking lots are available.
- Non-UW parking lot: 4105 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105 – $15/day
- UW Gatehouse parking: 15th Ave NE and NE 41st Street, underground in the Central Plaza Garage – $3 per hour with a maximum of $15/day
- Street parking: not recommended as there’s a two-hour limit ($2.50/hour).
Note: This is no sub-reimbursement for FIS schools